Monday 27 May 2019

Vuelta Andalucia MTB 2019

I've been going to this race for a few years with various success and bad luck. Now I'm in the master 50 I thought I would get myself trained up properly and have another go. It's a 4 day MTB stage race around various parts of Andalucia with a lot of climbing and luckily for me, enough technical single track that normally gives me a bit of an edge.
Day 1 was the usual fast start with the master 50s starting from the back of the field. One of my competitors was starting very well and cutting through the field so I had to go with him. I did my best to drop him but was caught on a long flat section and I just didn't have the legs to stay with him. I dropped off trying to recover but it never really happened and the last steep 8km climb really had me struggling. I ended up 2nd but lost 9 min, too much.
Day 2 I got on the wheel of 1st place and soon realized he was struggling with the technical sections, up and down. I made my move and tried to get away. I finished much stronger and waited as the time counted down, 12 mins, I was back in the lead.
Day 3 was the longest and had lots of technical sections, I rode flat out and took plenty of risks and got another 5 mins.
Day 4 I know well from previous years, 30 km up 30 km down. 2nd place attacked pretty hard on the start of the climb but I passed him on the 1st single track descent and didn't see him again. I rode hard to the finish with no problems and took the win. Very happy, we'll see what happens next year.



2 comments:

Badlands 2022

  Day 1 Badlands. I didn't think I was going to be nervous but it was finally sinking in, this is going to be a long way. I tried to sta...